Saturday, January 16, 2010

Open Door Policy?

I do stuff like…

Have an open door policy to my room. I mean the door isn’t literally just left open, but you know what I mean. Back at home our house was always open to whoever wanted to come over so I like it to be that way here as well.

The other night Kayla and I were just eating some Dream ice cream and drinking tea when someone just walked into what I like to call my little European cottage. This isn’t an unusual event (note the open door system). However, one could find it peculiar considering I still don’t have a roommate. Nevertheless I don’t mind. It turned out to be Fana (from Romania) and Julia (from Germany). Julia was holding two grocery bags that she just plopped onto my kitchen table, to my disbelief a container of grape kool-aid mix rolled out. Something I could read and recognize! I stood there puzzled not having any idea what was going on, (which I have become accustomed to here in the last couple of weeks.) But where did she get that?!

She began her explanation that her old roommate was American and had left a note with all of this food that Julia could just have it. Well that’s cool Julia just come down here and rub in my face that you have two bags of my home food that I quite desperately miss right now. We began to explain to her what everything was and she just laughed and responded with, “oh that’s nice, but I hate all of this stuff, so you girls can have it.” I stared at her in astonishment and could not stop the uncontrollable giggling and smiling that had seized my body. We thanked her profusely and went through the bags to find everything from cake mix, to canned turkey, to salad dressing, frosting, and I don’t even remember what else. Fana and Julia clearly could not handle our excitement as they made their way out while Kayla and I began to fill my vacant cabinet with the items that occupied the bags. I am convinced that the open door policy has been nothing but beneficial to me so far and the door will remain ajar.

4 comments:

  1. good ole open door!! just one more way that God is providing for you. That is great, I'm sure Kayla will enjoy cooking you up some things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our old minivan used to have a red light that said door ajar if a door wasn't completely closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum....kool-aid! Grape is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuck, grape koolaid isn't mine. But I'm glad you found some american food in your cupboard and are finding some friends too (how could you help doing that?)

    ReplyDelete