Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fire?!

I do stuff like…

Take a nice relaxing shower in my bathroom that has heated tiles. Blow-dry my hair compliments to Paula and Kim for making this possible. I’m just sitting in my room all by myself, since my roommate hasn’t arrived yet. I’m all curled up with my comfy pants on, my hair is a disarray, just in my chair with my tea and my book when unexpectedly the loudest most obnoxious noise I’ve ever heard started going off! I had no idea what this deafening noise was until I unlocked both of my doors and looked in the hallway to find a little man from Latvia telling me that it was the fire alarm and we should probably go outside. Oh lovely good thing we have a high of 4 this evening and I’m in my PJ’s with no jacket on and my whole life is just lingering in my room ready to be demolished by flames. Well there is no possible way I’m leaving my only source of real communication so I run back into my room to and grab my phone, lock my doors and briskly make my way to the front door. Oh hi everyone in my whole building nice to meet you finally, glad you could see me for the first time like this, yes I’m American. After standing there listening to the ear splitting bell for a few minutes a lady walks up to us, she looks like she has some kind of authority even though I don’t know what kind exactly. She tells us it’s just a test and that we can “carry on”. Oh a test, that’s funny, where I’m from we tell people when it is going to be a test so that the people involved don’t think that they are about to lose all of their belongings to engulfing flames and have cardiac arrest in their early twenties. But no big deal it’s fine we’ll just go ahead and “carry on”. So we make our way back to our rooms making the assumption that the thunderous noise will end soon. I’m still not sure what she expects us to “carry on” with because as I sit here now the alarm remains on full volume and it has been sixteen minutes. Good thing I don’t have to get up early for class tomorrow… oh wait, I do. Whoops. Ha.

FOUR MINUTES LATER…

So thankful the ear piercing TEST is done but now I’ll just have to get use to the constant ringing in my ears. Well I guess I can say that there hasn’t been a quiet boring night yet here in Norway. This whole day has made me so abundantly more thankful for the good old U S of A.

5 comments:

  1. of course! you can plan on fire drills when you are looking...not so hot. at least you had already got your sweats on! could have been worse :) carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey! This happened to me like 3 times at Grace....it sucks! I am glad that you have the option to drink tea! And have some time to relax...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I laughed at laughed at the part, hello everyone in my building, nice to meet you. It's like you are behind bars in your room. Pros: you can get away from it all and not be bothered, Cons: you don't really see anyone or bump into anyone. Can't wait for photos of your life there. Carry on!!!!

    ReplyDelete