Tuesday, January 5, 2010

No stable net...

I do stuff like…

Meet random people around my flat that are from Romania, Iran, Oslo, Poland, The Netherlands, and Germany. I could not tell where any of these people were really from but all of them knew right away that I was American. This surprises me however, because everyone I talk to first starts speaking to me in Norwegian until I say, “what?” then they just laugh and say it again in English. I’ve only met one person here in Norway that doesn’t speak English. The other students in my classes are serious scholars; they are taking courses in a language other than their native, which is crazy to me. I can barely understand what our professor is talking about and he is speaking my home language!

I had my first class today, lets just say I had to take a big deep breath and let go of my ideal GPA for the semester. The system here is a lot less organized than back at home. They say to just "look it up look it up" well my dear fellow Norwegian students I don't have access to the world wide web yet, the only reason I can blog is by stealing my Iranian neighbors internet until it quits on me. Also "wireless net" here means, buy a cord and plug it into your wall and your computer, ergo it does not mean wireless they should call it "with cord". I think they obviously understand the education system more and have their ways of doing things; which isn’t necessary bad, its just different from home, and a lot more difficult. We only get sunlight from about ten in the morning until three in the afternoon, and its not like real sunshine you need your sunglasses. It’s more like a hint of light behind a barricade of gloomy clouds. I think that might be one thing that is factoring in to my messed up eating and sleeping habits (other than the fact I’m living seven hours ahead of Omaha), by four in the afternoon it is darker than black outside so I feel like I should be in bed. When actually I should probably be starting to read one of the seven textbooks I need to finish by May. Whoops..haha. I think the education system here is going to be a lot more difficult to slide by in. At home I could rely on little grades to keep me up like quizzes and homework. Here, for my American Literature class I have one grade. In May I have to give a thirty minute oral presentation of who knows what, and then take a four hour written essay exam. Goodbye decent grades, hello studying?!

3 comments:

  1. After I finished reading I literally had to take a few deep breaths for you! I am praying for the adjustment not just to the time but also to the different systems & ways of doing things. Don't get discouraged! God was with you on the way there & He'll be with you for the next 5 months. Trust that He really does know what He's doing even if it doesn't feel like it. Miss you Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kels! I didn't know that they didn't have much light...I picture it more sunny! Have you found any good shops or restaurants? I feel stressed out just reading about your classes! But I know you will do great! Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love love i wish i was with you

    ReplyDelete