Monday, February 8, 2010

Holiday to London


I do stuff like… Take holiday to London for the weekend!

To preface this entry I would like to notify you that there is really no way for me to clearly explain what I have witnessed and experienced this past weekend, but nevertheless I’m going to try. I apologize now for how contorted this may come out I realize it may just be rubbish.

We left Thursday morning and walked down to the train station, which is coincidentally right next to the Central Bus Station. Walking past the area brought back a flood of memories of my first night here in Norway being stranded at the bus station in a strange country, at night, freezing; not that I’m bitter in any way it was quite the learning experience actually. Back to the point, this is the first time (correct me if I’m wrong Kathy) that I have been on an actual train. My expectations, like usual, were very far off. The trains we were on had cars in which the seats in one car would be facing one direction and the seats in the next car faced the opposite, ergo if you had to sit in the car facing backwards you were in for quite a ride of motion sickness traveling backwards for five hours. As you may have guessed I indeed had the privilege of experiencing this situation. We were fortunately able to move though and get seats all together; there weren’t a gaggle of people on our first train so we ended up sitting in the seats that faced each other, lovely. I won’t go on about the train other than to say that I think I like trains more than airplanes. Which brings us to the little Oslo Torp airport where we enjoyed the company of each other for the next six hours until our flight to England departed. A few random fun facts to point out: traveling lightly does not mean having outfits with options, it means taking your backpack with only what you will absolutely need; this makes for a less painful back ache, easier security passing, and less risk of being mugged while having carrying everything you brought with you everywhere you go.

To make an entirely too long story short I have come to the conclusion that most people working in airports, especially passport inspectors are often unable to smile and hate their lives, therefore they attempt to make everyone else hate their own lives by interrogating you with as many questions as possible and then doubting your honesty when you answer. This tactic however, did not work on me and I purposefully held my enthusiastic smile while thanking them and telling them to have a wonderful day. I was excited, probably over excited actually, to be able to read all of the signs and understand people around me in the England airport where everything was in the great English language! Cheers.

Lets skip ahead to after our incredibly late and loud plane ride, to the hotel which was actually just reserved for three adults so incidentally Rachel and Fana happened to be some ways behind us when we checked in. I now know why they have a three adult max rule, the room was quite small and having five of us in there made it all the more cozy (this was the beginning of the end of my personal bubble for the weekend). The highlight of the hotel stay was for sure the English breakfast in the morning (don’t get me wrong girls I enjoyed squeezing three of us onto that not so queen sized bed) but breakfast had fruit, yogurt, cheese, little pastry things that I can’t pronounce, cereal, toast and jam, an assortment of beverages from tea, to juice, coffee, hot chocolate, milk. Great way to start off the first day in the UK (haha that rhymed).

(Going to have to finish later I have to go further my education)

2 comments:

  1. I love how you squeeze words in that people over there use...like cheers and rubbish. Lots of boating guys who are docked here say those words. It is funny. Have you noticed anyone saying packets instead of bags or sacks?
    Sounds like a lovely weekend trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can do more about London later. YOu've got me on the edge of my seat.

    ReplyDelete