Friday, February 26, 2010

A Car Hit Me

I do stuff like … get hit by a Norwegian vehicle.

My lovely American friend Rachel (from Idaho) and I were just walking home from our exceptional American Studies class (yes I’m taking American Studies in Norway); we are having a very deep intellectual discussion about Dark Romanticism and True National Literature (yeah right, we were probably talking about boys) but anyway we get to the road that doesn’t have a sidewalk so we stay to the very edge and just keep trekking. Now this is more difficult than one would think because of the massive snowdrifts the road is already very narrow and cars are zooming past going both directions. But we aren’t too worried about it, that is until we both heard a popping noise and I felt like I just got hit by a car. Oh that’s because I did. The cars usually get pretty close and apparently this driver had poor depth perception because they got a little too close. My water bottle (compliments of Shan) popped out of my bag, by the way the ones that say virtually unbreakable really are unbreakable. Thankfully the car just sideswiped me and I had on plenty of layers and my backpack took most of the impact. I would post a picture of my sweet bruise but its location is not exactly blog appropriate. I turned to Rachel and she asked if I was ok and then started laughing uncontrollably and I must have looked confused because she assured me between bouts of laughter, “you just got hit by a car”. We both spun around to see if the driver would stop but they were long gone. Due to my astonishment and disbelief I started laughing too as Rach and I continued our much more cautious walk home. As we approached our destination we must have asked each other a hundred times if that really just happened, sure enough it did. I got hit by a car.

3 comments:

  1. O M G!!! now you can say you've been hit by a car. that's a great story topper. if anyone is trying to dominate the conversation by their great stories you can bust in with...well i was hit by a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? Ad they didn't stop?
    You must think we are crazy here in Norway :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got hit by a car, and you just laughed about it! I'm not persuading or something, but if you got hit by a car then you should take it a little seriously. Incidents like this can cause internal bleeding that is very dangerous. It's always important to be alert, and get the plate number of that car in order to identify the driver. One thing more, you should check if there are any CCTV cameras around in case you haven't got the plate number. That way, you could file a charge against the driver. However, if the person is kind-hearted enough to offer you some help, maybe you two can go for a settlement.

    ReplyDelete